GRILLED LEMON OREGANO LAMB CHOPS
If you can’t find these little lamb chops then do what I did and buy a couple of racks and cut them into chops. It’s easy to do as you just have to cut between the rib bones. Really any lamb chops would work. The nice thing about the fillet/rack chop is they’re so quick to cook – barely three minutes a side or less if you enjoy lamb raw. I like to serve these with couscous and green beans or a Greek salad, maybe a dollop of plain yogurt to top it all if you’re feeling adventurous. I use fresh and dried oregano because I think both offer their own flavor.
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus a little for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili peppers adjust for heat tolerance
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 racks of lamb – about 8 to 12 chops depending on their size
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Steamed couscous and a Greek salad to serve
Heat a grill pan or barbecue grill to medium-high.
Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, zest, juice, fresh and dried oregano, red pepper, garlic, salt and pepper in a shallow container; set aside.
If the lamb isn’t already cut into chops then cut down between the bones to create the chops or ask a butcher to do it for you. Drizzle the chops with a little oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes one side. Turn and cook for 3 minutes, covered with a lid if you’re using a grill pan, or less if you prefer lamb more rare lamb. My chops were tiny so 6 minutes of cooking gave me chops with no pink inside - about medium.
Add the cooked chops to the marinade. Toss to coat in the marinade. Cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with lemon wedges and oregano leaves to serve. Serve with couscous and a Greek salad if desired. Any leftover marinade, spoon over the chops. Serves 4.
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 2mg