CRISPY CHICKEN WITH LEMON BUTTER
Herb, parmesan, lemon and panko breadcrumbs make chicken breasts wonderfully crispy and flavorful. They’re served with a Mediterranean-esque garlicky, caper, lemon butter sauce. Don’t feel like messing with the sauce? Then serve the chicken simple with some lemon wedges instead.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts about 4
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- Canola oil for shallow frying
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Pinch of sea salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar
Place a chicken breast on a cutting board. Cut through horizontally to create 3 even thin slices of chicken, still in the shape of a chicken breast. By cutting the chicken this way, it prevents the need to have to pound each slice of chicken. Repeat with the remaining chicken. You’ll have 9 to 12 slices of chicken.
Combine flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a bowl or a re-sealable bag. Add the chicken in batches and shake the bag to ensure each slice of chicken is evenly coated in the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour.
Whisk eggs and cream together in a medium, shallow bowl. Combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, herbs and lemon zest in another medium, shallow bowl. Dip each slice of chicken in the egg wash letting any excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Press each slice into the breadcrumb mixture, properly pressing it into the crumb mixture to ensure it’s thickly coated.
Place a deep skillet on the cooktop and cover the base with oil. Heat the oil over medium. When the oil is hot, add the chicken in batches – about 3 at a time if they fit, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown and chicken is cooked. Keep hot on a wire rack on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you cook the rest of the chicken.
Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 221mg | Sodium: 1611mg | Potassium: 729mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1049IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 285mg | Iron: 3mg