SWEET CHILI CORN CAKES
Use fresh or frozen corn for this recipe. You can even use canned in a pinch. The corn cakes are good for brunch, as a starter or served as a main. Chopped crispy bacon is a nice addition to the corn cakes.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- A good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen, thawed
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Olive oil or cooking spray for cooking
- Sweet chili sauce
- Sliced avocado, green onion, sour cream, lime wedges, butter lettuce leaves, to serve
Preheat the oven to warm.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Add the corn, green onions, roasted pepper, cheese and garlic; stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk. Add to the corn mixture; stir until well mixed.
Heat a non-stick griddle pan to medium. Spray with a little cooking spray or olive oil. Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons of mixture for each corn cake about 2 inches apart; use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture a little and make the cakes round. Cook in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until golden and cooked. Keep batches warm in the oven. Drizzle with sweet chili sauce, just before serving. Serve with extra sauce.
Serve with avocado, green onion, sour cream, lime, lettuce and chili sauce. Serves 4 to 6.
Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 706IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 1mg