satay lemongrass chicken skewers
Everyone loves a make-ahead recipe - these flavorful lemongrass chicken skewers can be prepped a day ahead, making tomorrow night’s dinner a cinch. Cooking for a crowd? This recipe easily doubles. Use chicken tenderloins instead of thighs for faster prep (although thighs stay juicy). The sweet chili peanut sauce that’s served with the skewers requires no cooking. In fact, this recipe is so delicious & easy you’ll be adding it to your summer cooking repertoire for sure.
- 2 lemongrass stalks white & tender green parts only, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro coriander
- 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut or peanut oil if using coconut oil, warm it first to become liquid
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/4 lbs chicken thighs cut into strips (1.25kg)
- 10 x 9-inch metal skewers
SWEET CHILI PEANUT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
To make the sauce:
Stir all the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth; set aside. The sauce can be made a day ahead & stored, covered, in the fridge. Just add a spoonful or two of warm water to it to make it the consistency of honey. Makes about 1 cup.
In a bowl, combine lemongrass, cilantro, chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger, oil & garlic. Add chicken & stir to coat. Cover & marinate 1 hour or longer if timer permits – overnight is perfect, just make sure it’s sealed well. Thread chicken, accordion-style onto skewers.
Preheat the grill (barbie) to medium-high heat. Place skewers on a greased grill & cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked & grill marks appear. Makes 10.