Festive Pear, Grape & Candied Bacon Salad
Serve this salad as a meal or part of the holiday table - pomegranate arils, baby artisan lettuce, creamy blue cheese, dried cranberries & toasted pecans all drizzled with an orange mustard vinaigrette, make this the stuff salad dreams are made of. Prep the ingredients while the bacon cooks to save time.
Servings: 6 servings
- 8 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- generous pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 baby artisan lettuce trimmed, soaked & drained
- 1 cup red seedless grapes halved lengthways
- 2 ripe pears cored & sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 4 oz blue cheese thinly sliced or crumbled
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted & coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
ORANGE MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons malt or sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons stoneground mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or honey)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
To make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a jar with a screw-top lid. Shake until well combined.
Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Place bacon on greased wire rack in baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar & pepper. Cook bacon for 20 minutes or until brown & glazed. Let cool on rack. Coarsely chop bacon.
Arrange lettuce in one large bowl or individual serving bowl. Drizzle with a little dressing, salt & pepper & toss to coat. Add grapes, pears, cranberries & bacon. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Sprinkle with blue cheese, pecans & arils