Slow Roasted Tomato, Beef & Blue Cheese Salad
omatoes can be roasted ahead of time & stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 3 days.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
resting and cooling1 hr
Total Time2 hrs 50 mins
- 20 oz grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (575g)
- 1 lb New York strip beef steak
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 8 strips bacon, cooked according to package directions & chopped
- 6 oz creamy blue cheese
- 1/2 cup crispy fried onions
SWEET HOT MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot honey mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch salt & pepper
To make the dressing:
Combine all ingredients in a jar & shake well to combine.
Preheat the oven to 325F (160C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place tomatoes, cut side up, on baking sheet. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt & pepper. Roast for 1 1/2 hours until tomatoes are very wilted & partially dried out; cool.
Sprinkle steak with salt & pepper, pressing them into the steak. Cook the steak on a hot, greased grill, for 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on thickness, for medium rare, until good char marks appear & steak is perfectly cooked to your liking. Let stand on a plate or cutting board for 10 minutes before cutting it across the grain into thin strips.
Divide the lettuce between 3 bowls. Drizzle with a little dressing. Top with tomatoes, steak & bacon. Drizzle with more dressing. Top with blue cheese & fried onions.