Lemony Blueberry Crumble
This recipe has been tested in an 8-inch square baking dish & a 10-inch cast-iron frying pan – both vessels worked perfectly for the crumble. The crumble can be assembled ahead of time & baked for before serving. Make sure to have ice cream, whipped cream or pouring cream to serve.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 lbs fresh blueberries 1 kg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour plain
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar white
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- ice cream or cream to serve
BROWN SUGAR CRUMBLE
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising raising flour (or use all-purpose + 3 tsp of baking powder)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks/175g softened butter
Grease a deep, 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23cm) baking dish or a 10-inch ovenproof pan (the recipe has been tested with both). Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
Toss the berries, flour, sugar, zest & lemon juice together in a medium bowl & tumble the mixture into the baking dish.
To make the brown sugar crumble:
Combine the flour & brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it’s well combined & looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the berries. Bake for about 40 minutes or until browned & the berry mixture is bubbling around the edges.
Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.