Festive Pear, Grape & Candied Bacon Salad
Serve this salad as a meal or part of the holiday table - pomegranate arils, baby artisan lettuce, creamy blue cheese, dried cranberries & toasted pecans all drizzled with an orange mustard vinaigrette, make this the stuff salad dreams are made of. Prep the ingredients while the bacon cooks to save time.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time22 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 8 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- generous pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 baby artisan lettuce trimmed, soaked & drained
- 1 cup red seedless grapes halved lengthways
- 2 ripe pears cored & sliced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 4 oz blue cheese thinly sliced or crumbled
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted & coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
ORANGE MUSTARD DRESSING
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons malt or sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons stoneground mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or honey)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
To make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a jar with a screw-top lid. Shake until well combined.
Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Place bacon on greased wire rack in baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar & pepper. Cook bacon for 20 minutes or until brown & glazed. Let cool on rack. Coarsely chop bacon.
Arrange lettuce in one large bowl or individual serving bowl. Drizzle with a little dressing, salt & pepper & toss to coat. Add grapes, pears, cranberries & bacon. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Sprinkle with blue cheese, pecans & arils