Perfect for the festive season are these Brie Cherry Almond Tarts with apple. Whether they’re being served as a light lunch with a side salad or shared with some bubbles, these tarts are perfect – creamy, gooey Brie, crispy apples, tart & chewy dried cherries, topped with a little nubbliness thanks to the sliced almonds, and not to forget, some sweetness thanks to the onion jam. For me it’s the crispy, crumbling layers of the phyllo (or filo) pastry that makes these so damn good. Did I mention they’re as easy AF to make??
The cute little glass bottle in the pic above is from my friend Sarah’s beautiful store. Here’s the link. They come in three different colors. I love them.
It’s no secret I’m a lover of pastry, so I’m making these Brie, Cherry Almond Tarts with apple for our Christmas starter. I can have them assembled a couple of hours ahead of time then pop them into the oven for about 20 minutes until they’re golden-brown. Everyone will love them. I promise. For more holiday menu ideas, check out these recipes here.
BRIE CHERRY ALMOND TARTS
- 12-hole muffin pan
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, peeled & diced or two medium
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry, divided
- 2 tablespoons onion jam or sweet pepper jelly or bacon jam
- 8 oz Brie cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped or cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Grease a 12-inch muffin pan with butter. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the apple and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until the apple is a little browned. Set aside to cool.
- Very carefully lay a sheet of phyllo pastry on the counter, brush lightly with a little melted butter. Repeat with 5 more layers, brushing with butter in between each layer. Cut the pastry into 6 equal sections. Gently press each pastry section into the muffin pan. Repeat with the remaining 6 sheets or pastry and butter. Cut into 6 sections then pressing into the remaining muffin holes.
- Divide the jam between each pastry cup. Add the apple, cheese, cherries, almonds and thyme. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the tarts are golden brown and crispy. Add a little sprig of thyme for a pretty flourish if you desired.