Creamy Tarragon Mustard Chicken is a version of the French classic poulet a l’estragon & though the French recipe uses chicken breasts, I’ve used bone-in thighs but feel free to use breasts if you’d prefer although you’ll have to adjust the cooking time, probably by half. Comforting, this is a bit of a reminder of old-school cooking. Tarragon has a subtle anise flavor. If you have trouble finding it (it’s tres easy to grow), then use the more robust basil instead. The tarragon is a perfect & creamy Dijon mustard sauce, white wine & garlic elevate chicken to something nostalgic & comforting.Jump to Recipe
My favorite way to serve Creamy Tarragon Mustard Chicken is simply: some buttered baby potatoes, steamed green beans & a glass of white wine. It’s a meal that can be made for an easy weeknight indulgence or to serve to guests at the weekend. Au revoir, Lovoni xo
CREAMY TARRAGON MUSTARD CHICKEN
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced optional
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon or basil, plus extra leaves
- 3 good handfuls baby spinach leaves optional
- Steamed green beans & baby new potatoes, to serve
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the chicken, skin side down; cook for 5 minutes until the skin is browned. Turn the chicken & cook for 5 minutes until browned; remove from the pan to a plate. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the frying pan.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of fat & the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms & cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the garlic & cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the salt, pepper & wine. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the wine has reduced by about half. Add the broth and mustard; stir to combine.
- Add the chicken to the pan, skin side down. Reduce to heat to medium-low & cook, covered, for 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender, turning the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Add the cream & stir until combined. Cook, uncovered for 5 minutes on medium heat, or until the sauce is thickened.
- Add tarragon & stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning, adding any if needed. If you’re adding the spinach, now is the time. Scatter the spinach into the pan & stir it in around the chicken until just wilted. Sprinkle with extra tarragon leaves.
- Serve with green beans baby potatoes. Serves 6. Or 4 for those hungry people.