For me, Cheesy Mustard Roast Cauliflower is the best way to eat this veg. Not only does this taste fabulous but it’s also comfort food and looks like a bit of a centerpiece when placed on a table and served family style. A whole cauliflower bathed in a creamy, cheesy, mustard sauce and baked until burnished then cut into wedges to serve as a side dish or as a main with some crusty bread and a simple garden salad. So perfect for vegetarians.Jump to Recipe
A bit more special that the standard cauliflower casserole bathed in cheese – also both comforting and really good but I think my Cheesy Mustard Roast Cauliflower is certainly more of a showstopper. And I make no apologies for my seemingly overly confident statement. I’m stating a fact. At the risk of sounding bossy, don’t want to take my word for it, make it and see for yourself – you must! Toodles, Lovoni xo
CHEESY MUSTARD ROAST CAULIFLOWER
- 1 medium-large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup finely grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crispy fried onions such as French’s and fresh chopped chives, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (225°C). Have a cast iron pan, dish or a baking dish ready to roast the cauliflower in. Trim the bottom of the cauliflower so it will sit flat in a pan. You can trim the excess green outer leaves but I leave some on because I think it helps to keep the cauliflower together.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a good pinch of salt and carefully add the cauliflower, stem side down into the water. Cook, covered for 8 minutes until the cauliflower is tender but still holding its shape. Drain well. Place into the pan or baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, all three cheeses, mustard, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Slather the mixture evenly all over the cauliflower. Roast, uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with fried onions and chives (bacon would also be good). And serve immediately. Serves 8 as a side and 4 to 6 as a main.