Simple and quite quick to make Creamy Lemon Shrimp and Broccoli Pasta, is, as the name suggests, creamy and lemony with added flavors of wine and garlic – always good in any pasta dish. Shrimp are not only very quick-cooking but very low in calories: with 100g containing about 100 calories. As I state in the introduction on the recipe below – use any pasta you prefer. I used wholegrain pasta in this recipe but I eat pasta so infrequently that I want to fully enjoy it when I do so that means regular pasta. Even though it is lower in fiber rendering it not quite as wholesome, I much prefer the texture. Use your favorite pasta.Jump to Recipe
I do know the adding of cheese to a seafood pasta is a contentious subjects but I don’t really care. Parmesan cheese adds flavor and helps to make the sauce thicker and creamier. As the cheese is so light when it’s grated, it weighs next to nothing so cup for cup, has less calories that most other cheese. If you can, find broccoli that’s organic or at least local. And shrimp that are wild caught and not farm raised. I know I’m sounding a trite bossy but really, I support local, seasonal and sustainable when at all possible but tell people buy what you can afford. I’ve made this pasta without the shrimp and it is also really good. Until next time, take care wonderful people. Toodles, Lovoni xo
CREAMY LEMON SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI PASTA
- 8 oz whole grain pasta or pasta of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced about 1/4 cup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- a good pinch of sea salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 20 oz broccoli, trimmed or large stalk and florets chopped save the stalks for a stir-fry or a salad
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Lemon wedges to serve, optional
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, salt the water generously and carefully add the pasta; stir. Cook, uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes or according to package directions. Reserve the pasta water.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic. Cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until both have softened, taking care not to let the garlic brown.
- Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 1 minute. Add lemon zest, cream and mustard. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes until the sauce has thickened a little. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, salt, pepper and nutmeg; give the mixture a good stir. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the parmesan and stir to combine.
- Add the broccoli to the pot the pasta was cooked in or is still cooking in. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds. Drain the pasta and broccoli thoroughly – this is important as to not dilute the sauce and make it too runny. Stir to combine. Serve with lemon wedges or slices for garnish if desired. Serves 4 to 5.