Something quick and easy for a fun, meatless meal: Buffalo Chickpea Lettuce Wraps. Chickpeas tossed in hot sauce, honey and a smoky hint of barbecue sauce, spooned into lettuce leaves, topped with shredded carrot, thinly sliced celery and drizzled with blue cheese sauce. I prefer to make my own blue cheese sauce and hot sauce but for an even speedier meal, I won’t judge if you use bottled sauce.Jump to Recipe
Now i don’t want to insult your intelligence by stating this is a spin on the standard chicken wings here in the US, but just in case it’s either not blazingly obvious from the title or you’ve not heard of buffalo chicken wings then here’s a very delicious recipe for them I urge you to try. But, for a simple meatless meal with lots of flavor then Buffalo Chickpea Lettuce Wraps definitely won’t disappoint. Cheers, Lovoni xo
BUFFALO CHICKPEA LETTUCE WRAPS
- Lettuce leaves such as gem or romaine
- 2 x 16 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained garbanzo beans
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 to 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 to 3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
BLUE CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
To make the blue cheese sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat and stir over medium heat until the cheese is melted. Let cool somewhat before drizzling. If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon or so of water to thin the sauce.
- Separate lettuce and soak them in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes if time permits. Just before serving, drain the lettuce and wrap in a clean tea towel to dry.
- Place chickpeas, hot sauce, sriracha sauce, honey and barbecue sauce in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are hot and the sauce is thickened and glossy, coating the chickpeas, about 5 minutes. Let the chickpeas cool slightly, just so they won’t wilt the lettuce leaves.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce, chickpeas, carrot, celery and blue cheese sauce and let people make their own wraps. Or to make and serve them, add carrot and celery to a lettuce leaf, top with chickpeas and drizzle with sauce. Serves 4.