Forget the packaged stuff that’s about as dry as the box it came in, instead make your own cornbread. Quick and Easy Homemade Cornbread, as the name would suggest, is very simple to make and the results surpass any store-bought stuff. This is best eaten warm with a smear of butter and a drizzle of honey; if you’re into the honey drizzle on your cornbread.Jump to Recipe
Don’t just serve cornbread with chili, it’s great with soups, stews and roasts too. Pre made food has its place and I get that it’s convenient but the time it takes to throw a packet cornbread together versus the time it takes to make Quick and Easy Homemade Cornbread are so comparable, why would you even bother with the boxed stuff? Just saying. Love and social-distancing hugs, Lovoni xo
QUICK AND EASY HOMEMADE CORNBREAD
- 9-inch pie dish
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour see note 1
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half and half or light cream
- 1/3 cup melted salted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced, optional
- Butter and honey, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish or an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour and sugar. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Make a well in the center.
- Add half and half, melted butter and the egg. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Scrape into the prepared dish. Top with slices of jalapenos. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is set and the edge is golden brown. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving. Serve with butter and honey if desired.