Broccoli and Loaded Potato Soup – your favorite restaurant-style baked potato with cheese, bacon, sour cream and onion, in soup form. And with broccoli. Ladle this decadent and comforting soup into warm bowls to help chase away the winter chills.Jump to Recipe
When I first visited the US back in 1999, I was quite taken with the way the meals were served when eating out and so different to Australia. Salads were served first and ordering a steak with a baked potato promoted a server to come to the table with a rack housing small containers of sour cream, cheese, green onions, bacon, butter and cheese for my potato. Load me up with everything! This soup is a take on that with a nod to some sort of nutritional value in the form of broccoli. Potatoes of course are nutritional but I was going for a creamy, cozy soup that would satiate even the heartiest of salt and fat cravings. This certainly isn’t the recipe to be discussing nutritional values.
I know loaded baked potato soup isn’t anything groundbreaking but I like it so I thought it only right to include a recipe on my website. If you feel there’s still not enough carbs, feel free to add some crusty bread to dunking. Love, Lovoni xo
A few more soups to try: If you’re a creamy soup lover like me then try Curried Carrot and Lentil Soup. Maybe a chunky soup is more your thing which means you have to make this Hearty Ham & Lentil Soup. This Coconut Chicken Soup with Thai aromatics is one of my favorites.
BROCCOLI AND LOADED POTATO SOUP
- 8 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper or white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 12 oz broccoli, trimmed and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup diced ham
- Cayenne pepper for garnish, optional
- Add bacon to a large pot or Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is browned and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon onto a plate lined with paper towel. Drain the fat from the pot.
- Melt the butter in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 30 seconds to cook the flour. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Gradually stir in the broth and milk, whisking to remove any lumps. Add potato. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered for 15 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until the potato and broccoli are tender.
- Add 2 cups of cheese, the sour cream, most of the bacon and ham. Stir until well combined, hot and the cheese is melted.
- Spoon the soup into warm bowls. Top with remaining bacon and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with a little cayenne if desired. Serves 8.