Carrots, not overly exciting unless you’re a rabbit, but roast them and they’re transformed into sweet, earthy goodness. Harissa Pomegranate Roasted Carrots tossed in honey and scattered with pomegranate arils and pistachios makes such a festive and completely delicious side dish. To make the dish really quick to prep, buy pomegranate seeds and pistachios already prepped.Jump to Recipe
Harissa is a chili paste from North Africa – Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria – all countries who use this boldly flavored paste in their cuisine. I like it hot so I’ve used a few tablespoons. If you’re a little wimpy when it comes to chilies, then use half as much. Harissa certainly isn’t as hot as other chili paste or fresh chilies, such as jalapenos. You can buy the paste in many grocery stores or on Amazon for about five bucks.
Thankfully, you can now buy pistachio nuts already shelled. Granted they cost a bit more but that’s a laborious task if you’re shelling them – one for the bowl, one for me, one for the bowl, one for me. That’s how I shell them.
Thankfully too, you can also buy pomegranate arils/seeds in handy little containers in most supermarkets. I don’t mind fossicking for the seeds in all the little pomegranate caves but it makes a huge mess of my white kitchen and makes a quick and easy recipe more laborious than it needs to be.
These are really good served cold, chopped up in a salad too if you happen to have any leftovers. Serve with a drizzle of yogurt, cold or hot…mmmm, that would be delicious. Can you tell I’m hungry? A big salad for dinns tonight, including some of these carrots and some roasted beets. Chat to you soon, Lovoni xo
PS. If you’re after another wonderful holiday side then try this Sticky Sage Roasted Butternut Squash recipe.
HARISSA POMEGRANTE ROASTED CARROTS
- 2 lbs medium-sized carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 3 tablespoons harissa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the carrot with harissa, oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes. Drizzle with honey and roast a further 10 minutes until sticky and tender]
- Arrange on a serving platter; sprinkle with the seeds and nuts. Serve hot. Serves 6 as part of a buffet or four people if you’re only serving one other side.