Grilled cheese sandwiches served on their own or with a bowl of soup are comforting and wholesome. And also quick to make. Cook the onions with apple cider so they become caramelized and sticky. Then pile them on the sandwich with hot sweet mustard, gouda cheese and apple slices. The perfect pairing to a creamy tomato, carrot or squash soup. If you must, add some crispy bacon, pancetta or prosciutto.
A good grilled cheese sandwich needs a good bread, such as this easy no-knead artisan bread. And your favorite cheese. A grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of creamy, piping hot soup are the quintessential comfort food pairing. Perfect for an cozy week night or a laidback weekend meal. Toodles, Lovoni
CIDER ONION AND APPLE GRILLED CHEESE
- 6 slices artisan bread
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon hot honey mustard
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- A good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 gala or honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup grated gouda or Swiss cheese
- Lay the bread on a cutting board. Spread 2 tablespoons of butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Flip half the slices over so the buttered side is facing down. Spread with honey mustard.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until softened and browned. Add the cider, sugar and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the almost all the cider has evaporated. Remove the onions to a bowl. Wash out the pan and return it to the stove top.
- Spread the onion mixture on the 3 slices of the mustard bread. Sprinkle half the cheese over the onion. Top with apple slices and remaining cheese. Place the remaining bread slices, buttered side up on top of the cheese.
- Heat the same frying pan over medium heat. Using a spatula, carefully move each sandwich into the same heated frying pan. Cook on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes each side until golden and the cheese is melted. Cut in half to serve, if desired.