Gather a few humble ingredients together to make these Sweet Chili Corn Cakes – fresh corn, cheddar cheese, roasted peppers and green onions. Fragrant chili powder adds a subtle heat and spice and buttermilk and eggs bring all the ingredients together to make a savory version of pancakes. I love to serve these drizzled with Thai sweet chili sauce a dollop of sour cream, a squirt of fresh lime juice and soft butter lettuce leaves I like to wrap around the corn cakes and each in my hands.Jump to Recipe
This recipe is from a past life of mine a million years ago – my cookbook – Simple, Fresh, Delicious I published in 2005. Because my parents enjoyed this recipe so much, they made it over and over. I’ve changed the recipe up from its original creation. Making it even better. But if my parents loved it, I knew I had to share the recipe. I do, as I’ve mentioned before, come from a family of gourmands.
Straight forward to make, these corn cakes are good for a hearty starter, a meat-free main or brunch. For those who can’t pass on meat, add some crispy chopped bacon. Toodles, Lovoni xo
SWEET CHILI CORN CAKES
- Griddle pan or non-stick frying pan
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- A good pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen, thawed
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Olive oil or cooking spray for cooking
- Sweet chili sauce
- Sliced avocado, green onion, sour cream, lime wedges, butter lettuce leaves, to serve
- Preheat the oven to warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the corn, green onions, roasted pepper, cheese and garlic; stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk. Add to the corn mixture; stir until well mixed.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan to medium. Spray with a little cooking spray or olive oil. Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons of mixture for each corn cake about 2 inches apart; use the back of a spoon to spread the mixture a little and make the cakes round. Cook in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until golden and cooked. Keep batches warm in the oven. Drizzle with sweet chili sauce, just before serving. Serve with extra sauce.
- Serve with avocado, green onion, sour cream, lime, lettuce and chili sauce. Serves 4 to 6.