When I initially made these pastries they took me five minutes. This morning, seven minutes. Admittedly it was still dark out and the pillow indents hadn’t even had time to work their way out of my face yet so you might be able to beat the seven minute mark. I’m rushing to get this recipe out to you all this morning because I’m taking next week off from my website to concentrate on the backlog of work I have. And to work on an exciting new project; finish setting up my new computer and get more acquainted with my new camera and find a small video camera. This week has been a technology nightmare creating quite the level of stress. I need to take some time to regroup. While so many people are at home kicking back, I’ve been plummeted through the last couple of months with my hair on fire. That’s how I feel. A week of shifting my focus will work wonders. But back to these delightful pastries, one of which I’m stuffing in my face as I type this. I’m on my old computer so it’s okay, no pastry littering a pristine keyboard; this old girl is used to my messes.
It’s no secret I’m a lover of pastry. Pastry and anything coated in breadcrumbs. I had a sheet of puff pastry leftover from a quiche recipe I was supposed to use in a cooking video (the brand new little video camera I just bought didn’t work; just part of my hellish week), some leftover cream cheese and blueberries. And I wanted a pastry for breakfast. So in a few minutes with a handful of ingredients I made 7-Minute Blueberry Breakfast Pastries. I added some lemon, sugar and cornstarch to the berries; spread the cheese on the squares of pastry; spooned on the berries; brushed the pastry with egg and sprinkled it with coarse sugar. Then baked them for 25 minutes. They were so perfect. I had to share.
The coarse sugar really makes these special so don’t skip it. Either buy some online or find some. I used demerara sugar.
I made these for breakfast but they’d be such a speedy little dessert served with some ice cream or cream.
If I keep blabbing I won’t get this out on time. I have three minutes. So please excuse any errors. Have a good week next week. I hope to come back feeling refreshed and ready to share even more recipes with you. Take are, lots of love, Lovoni xo
PS. Turns out I just missed the deadline so instead you’ll be receiving this one lone recipe.
7-MINUTE BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST PASTRIES
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- a little powdered sugar or flour for dusting
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch cornflour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons coarse sugar such as demerara
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pastry on a lightly flour board or counter and roll until a 12-inch (30cm) square. Cut pastry into 4 equal squares and place these onto the baking sheet.
- Spread cream cheese on the pastry leaving a 1-inch (2.5cm) border around edges. Sprinkle the cheese with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Combine blueberries, cornstarch, lemon juice and the remaining sugar in a small mixing bowl. Dived between each pastry leaving a 1-inch (2.5cm) border around edges.
- Brush the pastry with a little egg. Cut diagonal slits in each corner of the pastries so the pastry can fold up easily. Fold the pastry up covering a part of the berries. Brush the pastry with egg. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Bake for 25 minutes or until the sides are puffed and golden.
Stunning! I can’t wait to try this!!
Thanks. I could eat all of them so easily. But I’m greedy. They’re just fabulous.