When I say Quick and Easy Ham and Cheddar Quiche takes five minutes to throw together, I’m not exaggerating. A sheet of ready-made pastry, diced ham, grated cheese, cream, eggs and a little nutmeg; 35 minutes in the oven and you’re done.Jump to Recipe
Most nights dinner in my house is pretty low-key and rustic. Often my whole day involves cooking, food styling, taking pics of food or writing recipes so when it comes to dinner, if we’re not having something I’ve made earlier for work, then I’m all about simple. Quick and Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche is a perfect example.
Once you have the proportions right in a quiche – as in egg to cream ratio, then you can switch-up the ingredients up and create your own combinations. Mushroom. Goat cheese, roasted pepper and thyme. Leek and parmesan are just a few variations. The trick is not to overload the quiche with too much filling and to keep the ration of eggs to cream the same: one-half cup of cream to one egg and one-half cup of cheese. No matter the flavor, I usually add a little nutmeg to the mix because cream, eggs and cheese love nutmeg.
This is the classic Quiche Lorraine – ham (or bacon) and cheese. Left with ham after Easter (or any of the other holidays requiring ham), this is good recipe to use up those leftovers. Make your own pastry if you feel inclined but I opted for store-bought, ready-made puff pastry. Use what takes your fancy but keep things simple. More time for binge-watching Netflix.
Cheers, Lovoni xo
QUICK AND EASY HAM AND CHEDDAR QUICHE
- 9-inch pie dish
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry 8 oz/226g, thawed according to package directions
- a little flour for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- pinch of nutmeg
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped ham
- garden salad for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9-inch (23cm) glass pie dish.
- Roll the pastry on a little dusted counter until it’s just large enough to cover the base and side of the pie dish. Place the pastry into the dish, gently pressing it up the side of the dish. Tuck any overhanging pastry inside the dish.
- Whisk together the cream, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the pastry. Scatter the ham over the cheese. Carefully pour in the cream mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake on the second bottom rack of the oven for 35 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven to wire rack; let cool. The quiche becomes firm as it cools. Serve a little warm but the filling will be very soft. Or let cool completely and serve at room temperature. Put the quiche into the fridge for an hour or two before serving. Serve with salad.