Coat thinly sliced chicken in a little flour, cook until golden, toss it in a sweet, salty sauce until the chicken is glazed and glistening then top it with a crunchy, fresh cucumber salad that has just a bit of cheeky heat. Add more chili if you’re feeling bold. Serve Sweet Chili Teriyaki Chicken with Spicy Cucumber Salad with steamed or coconut rice for an (almost) effortless dinner.Jump to Recipe
As I write about this Sweet Chili Teriyaki Chicken with Spicy Cucumber Salad, I’m enjoying it for my lunch, leftovers from yesterday’s shoot. I heated the rice but the chicken I’m eating cold. It’s delicious. The cucumber slices have succumbed to the sauce and have lost some of their vibrancy but they’re flavorful and still crunchy. It’s not a make-ahead recipe and I don’t usually like leftovers but this is an exception.
If like me, you enjoy crunch and heat, then you must add my perfectly crispy chicken wings to your ‘must make’ list. But make this recipe first. Sticky, hot, salty, sweet, it’s my Asian equivalent of comfort food. How’s everyone doing out there? Chat soon, lots of love xo
SWEET CHILI TERIYAKI CHICKEN WITH SPICY CUCUMBER SALAD
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 24 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced slices
- peanut or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- hot steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
SPICY CUCUMBER SALAD
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 2 to 3 small red chilies, sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sliced pickled ginger
- Preheat oven to ‘keep warm’ (170°F/76°C). Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper together in a shallow dish. Toss chicken in flour mixture in batches until well coated. Lightly cover the bottom of a large frying pan with oil and heat on medium-high. Cook chicken in batches until golden and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes each side. Transfer to a wire rack and keep warm in the oven between batches. Wipe the pan clean.
- Combine teriyaki sauce, chili sauce, vinegar and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Add the sauce mixture to the same pan. Bring to a simmer, simmer uncovered, for a minute or two to thicken the sauce a little. Return all the chicken to the same pan and toss until all the chicken is coated and glazed.
To make the cucumber salad:
- Whisk teriyaki sauce, sugar, vinegar, oil and chili together in a medium bowl.
- Add cucumber, onion and ginger; toss to combine.
- To serve, spoon the chicken over the rice, top with the cucumber salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds.