In a world of uncertainty, there’s always cooking – baking to be exact. A recipe, the careful measuring of ingredients, science mixed with a little intuition & the reward: Pear, Pecan & Sour Cream Muffins with Cinnamon Glaze. A buttery, soft crumb with a spiced, nutty glazed top; best served warm or freeze to be enjoyed later.Jump to Recipe
It’s common knowledge I make muffins for my husband every other week, always a different variation: Cranberry White Chocolate & Coconut Muffins; Pumpkin Walnut Streusel Muffins & even savory – Corn, Jalapeno, Bacon & Cheese Muffins. Occasionally I will share the recipe but I usually think, ‘do people want to see another muffin recipe?’. The muffins are always delicious. I know this because I will always taste one just to be sure before I wrap them & freeze them – the sacrifices. It’s a special treat my husband looks forward to each day with his coffee in the morning. He loves them & I decided you probably would too so I thought I’ll start sharing those bi-monthly muffin recipes more often. They’re so easy to make & the variations you can create are endless.
Use ripe, fresh pears or canned. Both are good; canned pears of course are more convenient & what I used. Feel free to replace the pecans with walnuts or pistachios. The sour cream with plain yogurt & the cinnamon glaze with ground ginger or nutmeg. Rustle about & see what you have in your pantry. I’m currently on a mission of creating recipes from what I already have on hand. Today’s cooking list included: a ham & cheddar quiche; ham & corn chowder (sharing that next week); chicken broth; tomato sauce for pasta; seed & nut artisan bread (sharing this next week too) & mushroom polenta bake. Tomorrow it’s back to testing recipes for a book I’m working on. Yesterday I was food styling a fun shoot for gin cocktails with Hard Truth gin. In the current global circumstances, I’m thankful for the work I have, the recipes I can share with others & the food I make to nourish those I love (which is currently limited to my husband & our puppy). If have any recipe requests, please send them my way. Sending lots of love your way, Lovoni xo.
PEAR, PECAN & SOUR CREAM MUFFINS WITH CINNAMON GLAZE
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/3 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk, or whole milk
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 15 oz can pears, drain & chopped, reserving the juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Line a 12 hole muffin pan with large muffin liners. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar & pecans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, butter & sour cream. Add to the flour mixture with the pears. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin liners. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer when inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
To make the glaze:
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the muffins. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until the glaze is set. Best serve warm. Let cool before storage. If you’re freezing the muffins, wrap them in plastic wrap & store in a sealed container.