Green Beans in Marmalade Ginger Butter. This delicious butter, made with marmalade, soy sauce, fresh ginger & garlic, is spectacular with tender French green beans but equally as delicious with other vegetables such as carrots, snap peas, parsnips, Brussels sprouts & roasted squash. It’s also brilliant with meat: brush it over chicken breasts or thighs; a whole roasted chicken; pork tenderloins or chops & any wild meats & such.Jump to Recipe
The butter can be made a day or two ahead of serving & warmed in the microwave or stove-top just before serving. If using French green beans (haricot verts) then don’t bother tailing them. These small beans are so tender they need little to no prep apart from a wash under cold running water. The knife in the pic below is merely for a prop. Sorry, it happens. If you can’t find French green beans, then use regular green beans – leave the tips on them but remove the stem end (tails).
Green beans are easy to prep & cook requiring very little work. And most people like them making them a welcome addition to the festive table. I absolutely love this recipe. For both its versatility & of course flavor. This is the nicest green bean recipe I’ve tasted. And for someone who eats green beans at least three times a week, that’s a pretty bold statement. Cheers, Lovoni
green beans in marmalade ginger butter
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers, optional (chilli flakes)
- 1 lb French green beans (500g, approx)
- pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- orange wedges for garnish, optional
- Melt the butter together with marmalade, soy, ginger, garlic & crushed red peppers in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, reduce the heat to medium-low & simmer for 1 minute to infuse the flavors. Strain butter into a small jug; cover & keep warm. Makes about 1/3 cup.
- Bring about 1 inch (2.5cm) of salted water to a boil in a large frying pan with a lid. Add the beans & cook, covered, for 3 minutes or until the beans are tender but still a little crisp – or however you like them. Or steam the beans over simmering water or cook them however you like to cook green beans – microwave, steamer oven & such.
- Drain the beans & place in a large, warm bowl. Add half of the warm butter mixture & toss to coat. Arrange the beans on a platter, drizzle with the remaining butter mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds & garnish with orange wedges. Serve immediately. Serves 6.