Have you ever made pickled celery? Simple to make, crunchy & lively, pickled celery is perfect served as part of a charcuterie or cheese platter. Rather than opening a jar of pickles, it’s easy to make your own pickled veg. These pickles add a little interest on heaping platters of sharing food leading up to the holidays & festive season. Serving one or two things you’ve cooked, such as a chutney or a pickle when you put together your cheese or meat platter, makes it look like you’ve been slaving away when you smugly know you, that’s not the case. Shhhh, no one needs to know.
You could even pop a jar of pickled celery in a gift basket with some cheese, sliced meats, nice bread & a bottle of vino. Everyone loves a goodie basket around the holidays. I know I do.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds brown or yellow
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper chili flakes
- 6 to 8 pieces of celery, trimmed & cut on bias
- 2 to 3 clean jars & screw-top lids
- Combine sugar, vinegar & water in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir until sugar is thoroughly dissolved.
- Add peppercorns, mustard seeds, salt, cloves & red pepper. Let mixture come to the boil, uncovered; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Place celery into jars. Add the vinegar mixture to each jar until the celery is covered. Add screw top lid. Keep in the fridge up to 1 month. Makes about 2 x 500ml jars.