Salmon fillets coated in a fresh thyme, oregano spice rub, cooked until perfect inside but a little blackened on the outside then topped with a marmalade & almond butter – Blackened Salmon with Orange Almond Butter – perfect for an evening meal with the family or for a bit of a soiree with friends on the weekend.Jump to Recipe
Serve with Blue Cheese, Walnut & Thyme Beans & Mustard Beets with Pine Nuts & Feta. I love to serve this with a chilled Pinot Noir as the flavors marry beautiful with this lighter style red.
Salmon is one of the meals that can be jooshed-up for more of a fancy meal or served casually for a quick midweek dinner fix. This recipe is super simple to make & both the rub for the salmon & the flavored butter can be made a few days in advance. Cook it in a cast iron pan for maximum blackened crust. Oh & don’t forget the wine. Cheers, Lovoni xo
blackened salmon with orange almond butter
- cast iron pan/skillet
- parchment or waxed paper
- 4 salmon fillets (1 1/2 to 2 lbs/750g – 1kg total weight)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed chili flakes)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
ORANGE ALMOND BUTTER
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) butter, softened (125g)
- 1/3 cup marmalade
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt & freshly ground pepper
To make the butter:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Scrape butter mixture onto parchment paper. Using the paper as a guide, roll butter mixture to make a 5-inch (12cm) log; secure firmly. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Check salmon for any pin bones or scales. Remove any bones with tweezers. Place salmon fillets on a plate.
- Combine thyme, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, chilies, salt & pepper together in a small bowl. Press spice mixture all over salmon.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan – I used cast iron, over medium heat. Cook salmon, skin side up, for about 4 minutes or until salmon is a lovely dark browned to blackened color. Turn and cook a further 2 to 3 minutes more, depending on thickness of salmon until salmon is cooked & flakes easily with a fork – do not overcook.
- Cut flavored butter into slices, place over top of hot salmon & allow to melt. Serves 4.