Not all muffins have to be sweet. Savory muffins are far more versatile then their sweet counterparts & contain less sugar. These corn, jalapeno, bacon & cheese muffins are perfect for brekkie on the go; part of a leisurely brunch; packed in school lunch boxes or ‘just because’ at three o’clock in the arvo when you’re feeling peckish. With just the right amount of heat, sweet corn, smoky bacon & sharp white cheddar, these are sure to be a hit.Jump to Recipe
Muffins have to be one of the easiest things to bake. Follow the simple rule of not over-mixing & you’ll have muffins with a tender crumb. Like homemade bread, muffins are usually best eaten the day of baking, but can be frozen &/or warmed in the microwave. I think they’re always better warm. With butter. Just saying.
Good on their own, they’re also delicious served with soup or a bowl of chili. Make mini ones for the kiddos or for a party to serve with pulled pork or in place of dinner rolls.
For me – I enjoy them warmed with butter & a cuppa. Happy girl.
Cheers, Lovoni xo
corn, jalapeno, bacon & cheese muffins
- 3 cups self-rising flour (self-raising flour)
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, or frozen corn, thawed
- 8 slices bacon, cooked according to package directions & chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno, diced, plus 2 extras, sliced for garnish
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted (200g)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a 12-hole muffin pan with tulip muffin cases with cooking spray. (If you don’t have tulip muffin cases, use the regular fluted muffin cases but be aware, the recipe will make more than 12 so have another muffin pan on hand – the fluted muffins cases are best filled to three-quarters.)
- Combine flour, 1 cup of cheese, corn, bacon, sugar & diced jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk, butter & eggs in a medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture, folding & stirring until mixture is just combined; do not over mix. Spoon mixture into muffin cases until each hole is about half filled for the tulip cases & three-quarters filled for the fluted cases. Sprinkle with remaining cheese & add slices of jalapeno. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of one comes out clean & the tops are golden.
- Let stand in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm with butter or freeze individually when cold. Makes 12.