Not one to brandish about the words “amazing”, “the best”, “incredible” & any other such superlatives when describing something I’ve made, get ready, because today I am talking-up this caramel chocolate chip cookie bars recipe that’s so good it requires all the over-the-top adjectives you can throw at it. It’s the taste & texture of the milk chocolate chip cookie base & topping encasing a gooey caramel filling, that make this quick & easy baking recipe nothing short of sensational.
For the filling I used Werther’s chewy caramels. I’ve also made this with their soft caramels – both work. The filling is easy: caramels & sweetened condensed milk. The worst part: unwrapping the caramels & trying not eating any of them. It can be done apparently, just not by me.
I’ve been cooking professionally for 25 years or more & one thing I do know is what one person thinks is great, another might find fault – think restaurant reviews. Everyone is a critic. But, everyone who has tried these caramel chocolate chip cookies bars, have loved them & gone back for more. Yeah they’re good but you’ll have to make them for yourself to find out just how good.
Toodles, Lovoni xo
Caramel Choc Chip Cookie Bars
- electric mixer
- 9 x 13 inch baking pan
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks/250g)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips (11.5 oz/326g)
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (396ml)
- 10 oz chewy or soft caramels unwrapped (about 40 pieces/283g)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line a 9 x13-inch (23 x 33cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat butter & both sugars together in a large bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes or until creamy, scraping the side of bowl down once or twice during beating.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, salt & baking soda and continue mixing until smooth, scraping the side of the bowl.
- Add flour & chocolate chips & beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until combined. Press half the dough into the prepared pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the condensed milk & caramels. Heat on medium-low, stirring frequently, until the caramels are melted – taking care not to let the mixture catch on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the base. Then drop the remaining dough in about teaspoon-size amounts over the top of the caramel. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is just set & the top is golden.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 20 bars.