Ditch the pasta & the carbs – roasted zucchini lasagne is layered with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, spinach, garlic & thin slices of roasted zucchini. This gluten-free lasagne helps add more green veg to your diet. Adults & kids will both enjoy this light & cheesy vegetarian lasagne.Jump to Recipe
Having said that…I struggle with the whole label diets. This lasagne is low carb & it is vegetarian…but, regardless of what dietary label you might give a recipe, this is a really good main with lots of vegetables – exactly what I intended it to be & not for a particular ‘diet’. It’s also a great way to get your kids to eat more greens (there’s lots of spinach disguised in the cheesy filling). Serve it with a simple salad, some crusty bread & any carnivore won’t even notice there’s no meat.
Try these other ‘green’ recipes:
- Goat Cheese, Zucchini & Pea Crostini
- Quick & Easy Pea & Shrimp Green Curry
- Crispy Kale, Pea & Asparagus Caesar Salad
roasted zucchini lasagne
- 8 to 10 medium-large zucchini, sliced into thin ribbons 1/8 to 1/4 inch (4mm) thickness*
- olive oil for brushing on zucchini, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 oz baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups ricotta full-fat
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- extra dill sprigs to serve optional
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Brush both sides of each slice of zucchini with a little olive oil. Place them in a single layer on the baking sheets, squashing them close together as possible (they shrink a lot when cooked). Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33cbaking dish.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion & garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Add spinach. Cover for 2 minutes. Remove lid & stir until just wilted.
- Combine ricotta, eggs, dill, nutmeg & parsley together in a medium bowl.
- Place a layer of the roasted zucchini in the bottom of the prepared dish – one third of the zucchini. Top with half of the ricotta mixture & half of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella & parmesan. Top with half of the remaining zucchini, spread all the remaining ricotta mixture over zucchini & all of the remaining spinach mixture over the ricotta. Sprinkle with half the remaining mozzarella & parmesan. Top with the remaining zucchini & sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella & parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden – you can brown the top for 1 to 2 minutes until a broiler, about 6 inches away from the heat source. Cover loosely & let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into 6 or 8 pieces. Serve sprinkled with extra dill sprigs if desired.