When you’re looking for an easy way to get more veggies into your diet, Asian cuisines offer a wide variety of simple recipes to help increase your consumption of veg – especially greens. This quick & easy pea & shrimp green curry is such a recipe: toss in a handful of crunchy sugar snap peas & sweet, shelled frozen peas & you’re partway there to enjoying your 5-a-day.Jump to Recipe
Called “quick & easy” because there’s no messing around with making your own curry paste. This green curry paste – Mae Ploy from Asian markets & some standard grocery stores such as Target, is the best I’ve used, because of that I often don’t bother to make my own. Then the recipe is really about tossing everything into the wok & letting it simmer for a few. Meanwhile, you’ve got some jasmine rice on steaming ready to serve with this creamy & robust green curry. A perfect speedy & veggie packed weeknight meal.
This crispy kale, pea & asparagus caesar salad is a great way to get more greens into your diet.
quick & easy pea & shrimp green curry
- wok or large frying pan, can opener, spoon
- 1/4 cup Thai green curry paste
- 14 oz can coconut milk 398ml
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, bruised (crush them in your hand to bruise them. One kaffir lime leaf has two parts to it so both halves of the leaf = one leaf)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 20 to 24 jumbo shrimp peeled & deveined leaving tails intact
- 8 oz sugar snap peas trimmed (250g)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 or 2 green chilies thinly sliced
- steamed jasmine rice lime wedges & pea shoots, to serve
- Place curry paste in a wok or large deep frying pan & heat over medium-high heat, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, broth, lime leaves, fish sauce & sugar; stir until combined. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes to help infuse the flavors.
- Add shrimp & sugar snap peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until shrimp are almost cooked.
- Add frozen peas & cook for 2 minutes or until hot & shrimp are cooked. Add cilantro, cashews & lime juice; stir to combine. Serve with rice, lime wedges & pea shoots.