In full disclosure, I’m not suggesting this Mexican Chicken Burger is authentically Mexican, but rather I’m using the name to incite an image of textures & flavors of not only how good this burger is, but how the vibrant, fresh flavors of Mexico inspired me to create this recipe. So if you’re a lover of Mexican food – as so many of us are – then it’s clear what to expect.Jump to Recipe
Crushed tortilla chips are used in the patties to not only help bind the mixture but to add another level of flavor so don’t omit them or use breadcrumbs – use tortilla chips as specified.
Pair this delicious burger with Chipotle Lime Potato Salad, Pineapple Slaw & Jalapeno Pineapple Margaritas. This burger is loaded with flavor – pickled jalapenos (we love the Mezzetta brand of hot sliced jalapenos) avocado, chili, cilantro, pepper jack cheese & a creamy jalapeno sauce to accompany it. Lots of those wonderful Mexican flavors we know & love.
Mexican Chicken Burger
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, drained & diced, plus 1/4 cup extra
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken 750g chicken mince
- 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons salsa, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 6 buns, sliced in half & buttered
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1 to 2 avocados, sliced
- salsa to serve
- Combine mayo, diced jalapeno, honey, paprika & fresh garlic together in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge, covered, until ready to use.
- Lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl. Add chicken, crushed tortillas, salsa, cilantro, chili powder & garlic powder together in a medium bowl. Shape the mixture into 6 patties – a little bigger than the buns you bought (the patties will shrink as they cook). Preheat the grill to medium-high. Cook the patties on greased grill for 4 to 5 minutes each side until grill marks appear & patties are thoroughly cooked.
- Place a slice of cheese on each patty & toast the buns for 1 to 2 minutes or until nicely grilled. Spread the mayo mixture on the bottom halves of the buns. Add lettuce, patties, onion, avocado, remaining jalapeno slices & salsa. Spread bun tops with any remaining mayo mixture & place on burgers