Creamy but still light, smoky cheese & asparagus soup is the perfect segue between the end of winter chills & the sprouting bounty of spring. Leek, smoky gruyere, the season’s fresh asparagus, spiked with a little wine, produce a soup bursting with flavor.Jump to Recipe
A drizzle of cream & a blitz with a blender is all that’s need to transform the soup to silky splendor. The smokiness comes from the cheese – use either gruyere or gouda, whichever is available.
Serve with buttered artisan toast for a starter or as a meal for lunch or dinner.
smoky cheese & asparagus soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek white and tender green parts only, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour plain
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs 1kg asparagus, trimmed of woody ends, chopped
- 1 cup grated smoked gruyere or gouda cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- microgreens cream & cooked asparagus tips for garnish, optional
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek & cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic & cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add flour & cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute to cook the flour. Add salt, pepper & nutmeg. Gradually add wine, milk & broth, whisking to remove any lumps. Bring to a simmer; add asparagus. Cook, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until asparagus is softened; remove from heat. Add cheese & cream.
- Put mixture in a blender (in batches if necessary); blend until smooth & frothy. Return mixture to the same pan & stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until the soup is hot. Serve hot topped with microgreens, a drizzle of cream & asparagus tips.