Bison & asparagus stir-fry comes together quickly once you’ve got all the veggies chopped, aromatics ready, sauce ingredients stirred & ready to be thrown into the wok. It’s important to have all your prep done before heating that wok. Using ground meat in a stir-fry – it can be anything you fancy – pork, chicken or beef, I used bison (yep, hence the name), helps to speed up the prep work.
Most stir-fries make a healthy way to enjoy a daily serving or more of veggies. They’re fairly quick to prep, especially if you have better- than-novice knife skills. Plus they cook in mere minutes. Use one to three different veggies (don’t be tempted to use more or you’ll overcrowd the wok); something with crunch – cashews, almonds, water chestnuts; a protein; aromatics & some salty sauce. A stir-fry is perfect for a busy weeknight served with steamed jasmine rice or noodles. Also, if you’re looking for a decent wok, my recommendation is a flat-bottomed, carbon steel wok with wooden handles. Over time it will blacken & become well-seasoned. You can buy one for about 20 bucks from a local Asian market. No need to buy an expensive one.
bison & asparagus stir-fry
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (or dry sherry)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or canola, peanut or avocado)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 lb ground bison or beef (500g)
- 2 bell peppers, seeds & membrane removed & discarded, sliced (capsicum)
- 1 bunch (1 lb/500g) asparagus, trimmed of tough, woody ends then cut into thirds
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained (250g)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 8 green onions, trimmed then cut into 1-inch lengths (2.5cm)
- steamed jasmine rice to serve (optional)
- Combine broth, oyster sauce, mirin, soy sauce, honey & cornstarch together in a small measuring jug, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- Heat a large wok or deep frying pan over high heat. Melt the oil. Add the beef & stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned & the juices have evaporated.
- Add garlic & ginger & stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper, asparagus & water chestnuts. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until asparagus is bright & tender-crisp. Stir the sauce mixture & add, stir-frying until well combined.
- Add coarse-ground pepper & green onion; stir-fry 1 minute until hot. Serve with rice if desired.