A little taste of Indonesian – grilled lemongrass chicken skewers served with the easiest & most delectable sweet satay sauce – that doesn’t require any cooking. Enjoy this with some some grilled peppers thrown on the barbie at the same time as the skewers or serve with coconut rice & this cucumber side salad.Jump to Recipe
For the organized – marinate the chicken the day before & make the sauce – always a lovely surprise when you remember dinner is all but done. Serve these for dinner for the family or at your next gathering – fire up that grill: the days are getting longer, &, dare I say – warmer?! Cheers, Lovoni
satay lemongrass chicken skewers
- 2 lemongrass stalks white & tender green parts only, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro coriander
- 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut or peanut oil if using coconut oil, warm it first to become liquid
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/4 lbs chicken thighs cut into strips (1.25kg)
- 10 x 9-inch metal skewers
SWEET CHILI PEANUT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
To make the sauce:
- Stir all the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth; set aside. The sauce can be made a day ahead & stored, covered, in the fridge. Just add a spoonful or two of warm water to it to make it the consistency of honey. Makes about 1 cup.
- In a bowl, combine lemongrass, cilantro, chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger, oil & garlic. Add chicken & stir to coat. Cover & marinate 1 hour or longer if timer permits – overnight is perfect, just make sure it’s sealed well. Thread chicken, accordion-style onto skewers.
- Preheat the grill (barbie) to medium-high heat. Place skewers on a greased grill & cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked & grill marks appear. Makes 10.