A good crumble has the perfect fruit to topping ratio so when cooked, the fruit is about one & a half times as thick as the crumble. But opinions differ on this. This Lemony Blueberry Crumble comes together in a jiffy, is comforting & has just the right ration of fruit to crumble ratio.Jump to Recipe
A crumble is one of the easiest desserts to make but when done right, can really wow people. There’s something familiar & comforting about a crumble. Not as flashy as its cousin, the fruit pie, a crumble, unlike a pie, isn’t the least bit intimidating to make.
Filling ingredients are mixed together & tumbled into their cooking vessel.
The topping is scattered over the top in all its nubbly form, then into the oven it goes for half an hour.
That’s what you want, the chunkiness of the crumble topping, otherwise it’ll look like a crisp & we don’t want a dessert looking refined, this is meant to appear rustic.
Admittedly it’s wonderful served mouth-scorchingly hot straight from the oven but if you can harness some patience (harder for some than others) it’s best served warm with ice cream, whipped cream, clotted cream or regular heavy pouring cream – whatever takes your fancy. And speaking of “taking your fancy”, do you fancy some other of our favorite desserts? Lemon Curd Cheesecake Bars? Or Italian Cherry Almond Tart? All of them are completely divine! Cheers, Lovoni
Lemony Blueberry Crumble
- 2 lbs fresh blueberries 1 kg
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour plain
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar white
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- ice cream or cream to serve
BROWN SUGAR CRUMBLE
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising raising flour (or use all-purpose + 3 tsp of baking powder)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup 1 1/2 sticks/175g softened butter
- Grease a deep, 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23cm) baking dish or a 10-inch ovenproof pan (the recipe has been tested with both). Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Toss the berries, flour, sugar, zest & lemon juice together in a medium bowl & tumble the mixture into the baking dish.
To make the brown sugar crumble:
- Combine the flour & brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it’s well combined & looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the berries. Bake for about 40 minutes or until browned & the berry mixture is bubbling around the edges.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.