Take the humble garden salad, thread the ingredients onto skewers, drizzle them with homemade blue cheese dressing then scatter crispy bacon & green onions over the top & you’ve got yourself a fun picnic salad or a possible way of encouraging the kids to eat more salad. Garden salad skewers are easy to make & fun to eat.
This recipe really is very easy but if you want it to be easier still, then you can always buy pre cooked bacon & dice it (or buy it already diced) & a bottled salad dressing. But truly, it already is pretty straightforward. Still, I know there are those of you out there that way as easy as possible, & that’s okay – but, this homemade blue cheese dressing far surpasses any bottled dressing PLUS, you know what’s in it – right?!
Now as I mentioned, these would be super cute to take on a picnic served with some cold roasted chicken & maybe a honey yogurt lemon syrup cake (yes, yum!!) but whip these out at a barbie or for dinner with the family. They’re simple but a little fun & who doesn’t love both those things – especially when you’re the one doing the cooking. Cheers, Lovoni
Garden Salad Skewers
- 1 iceberg lettuce cored & cut into
- 24 grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber halved lengthways then each half cut into 12 pieces
- 8 x 10-inch skewers 23cm
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 8 bacon slices cooked according to package instructions & diced
- crumbled blue cheese for garnish (optional)
BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 5 oz blue cheese crumbled (140g)
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
To make the blue cheese dressing:
- Heat & stir all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until the cheese is melted; cool before using (it can also be used warm). To make the dressing runnier, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.
- Thread lettuce, tomatoes & cucumber onto skewers – 3 pieces of each. Arrange them on a platter, drizzle with dressing & sprinkle with green onions, bacon & blue cheese crumbles. Makes 8.