If you’ve ever had bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers (we’re pretty sure you have), then these are better. This recipes is everything that makes jalapeno poppers so good but ours are rolled into a balls, breaded & fried so they’re cheesy & really crunchy. What’s not to love?
So crunchy on the outside, inside these delectable morsels are molten, gooey cream cheese, cheddar & Swiss; smoky bacon; diced fresh jalapenos (obvs, right?!) & garlicky. In other words – heavenly!
Jalapeno Popper Balls are the perfect appetizer because not only will everyone flip-out over them & think you’re a genius, but they can be prepared ahead of time. When you’re hosting any sort of gathering, make-ahead food is key for a successful, stress-free soiree. That & good cocktails like these Long Island Iced Teas.
Choosing a favorite recipe can be like choosing a favorite song – it’s impossible to just choose one, but this recipe is definitely on the top 10 list. You don’t have to be a culinary wizard to make them, they’re make-ahead, they’re made with only a handful of ingredients, they’re crunchy AND melted cheesy & what’s more – they’re bloody delicious. We love them. You will too. They’re the ultimate party food. So are these Sauerkraut & Beer Brat Balls.
Jalapeno Popper Balls
- 10 slices bacon, cooked according to package directions & finely chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 3 jalapenos, trimmed of stem, seeded & diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil for deep-frying
- Combine bacon, cream cheese, cheddar, Swiss cheese, jalapeno, hot sauce, garlic powder, salt & pepper in a medium bowl. Cover a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Drop 1-tablespoon of cheese mixture onto the baking sheet; roll into balls.
- Whisk eggs & milk together in a shallow bowl. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. And breadcrumbs into a third shallow bowl. Toss each ball in flour, then dip into the egg mixture & then roll into the breadcrumbs. Place on the baking sheet.
- Heat oil in a large wok or deep pot until it reaches 375F on a candy thermometer. Have the oven set to warm. Cook balls in batches for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Keep warm until ready to serve (preferably no longer than 20 minutes. Serve with extra hot sauce. Makes about 26.