Perfectly seared tuna, thinly sliced & draped inside warm tortillas, topped with pineapple salsa & a sweet-heat crema. Tuna & pineapple salsa tacos – perfect for a fast & fresh midweek dinner or for a barbie get-together on the weekend.Jump to Recipe
Pineapple pairs beautifully with any seafood & especially the oily fish – tuna, salmon, sardines, trout, swordfish & mackerel. Pineapple contains an enzyme called ‘bromelain‘ that not only helps inflammation in the body but it aids in digestion & helps to breakdown the fat in the food we consume. We love it because it works well in both sweet & savory recipes. And epitomizes warmer weather.
If you opt to make these for a weekend soiree then the salsa & sauce can be made a day ahead. All that’s left to do is to quickly sear the tuna & warm the tortillas – both take mere minutes.
And if your family love the crunch of the hard corn taco shells then use those. Soft or crunchy, either way, this is a recipe family & friends will love. Love Mexican flavors? Then try Mexican Brushcetta.
Or Bean & Beans Nachos. Maybe Slow Cooker Mexican Beef Pot Roast.
tuna & pineapple salsa tacos
- 2 cups diced ripe pineapple (about 1/2 a fresh pineapple)
- 1 cup diced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh jalapeños
- pinch of salt
CREAMY SRIRACHA & HONEY SAUCE
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas (fajita size) (or corn tortillas)
- olive oil
- 12 oz tuna steaks
- salt & freshly ground pepper
To make the salsa:
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Cover with plastic wrap & place in the fridge.
To make the sauce:
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap & place in the fridge
To make the tacos:
- Heat a grill pan, a cast iron pan or a barbecue grill to medium-high. Place tortillas in pan for 30 to 45 seconds per side until warm & grill marks are appear. Remove from pan, fold in half & cover to keep warm.
- Drizzle a little oil over both sides of tuna, rubbing on the tuna to coat. Sprinkle both side of each piece of tuna with a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes each side until browned. Remove to a plate or board; cover & let rest for 5 minutes before slicing across the grain into thin slices.
- To serve, spread a spoonful of the sauce inside each tortilla. Add tuna, salsa & drizzle with more sauce. Makes 8. Serves 3 to 4.