As the days grow longer & the nights warmer, we crave salads & fresh, vibrant flavors. The inspiration for Avocado BLT Salad, not surprisingly, is of course the ever popular BLT sandwich – but better. Much better.Jump to Recipe
It’s hard not to fall in love with this salad – candied bacon; vine-ripened tomatoes roasted with chunks of artisan bread; buttery wedges of avocado & soft butter lettuce all drizzled in a creamy sriracha honey dressing.
This is one of those meals you can rush home from work (or where ever you happen to be) & throw together in minutes. It’s wonderful served as-is but if you want to make it go further then grab a rotis chicken or maybe toss a couple of chicken breasts on the grill. It’s also the sort of dinner I’d have no qualms serving to guests because it looks pretty & tastes incredible. Yet it’s so simple to make. Definitely add this to the list of recipes you need to be make this spring & summer. It’s a keeper. And so are these other fast & fresh meals: Pork Larb (salad), Thai Chicken Vegetable Stir-Fry & Parmesan Herb Crusted Salad.
Avocado BLT Salad
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups torn or cubed artisan bread
- 10 oz (280g) vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, quartered
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil & place a greased wire rack on baking sheet.
- Combine honey & sriracha sauce in a small bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of the mixture to a small bowl or dish. Add mayonnaise & lemon juice to the remaining honey mixture & set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place the bacon in a single layer on the wire rack & brush with the 2 tablespoons of the honey mixture. Cook for 20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp & toffee-like being careful not to burn it.
- Meanwhile, toss oil, bread, tomatoes, salt & pepper together on another baking sheet. Roast with the bacon for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during cooking, until the bread is golden & tomatoes are wilting.
- Arrange lettuce, bacon, avocado, tomato & bread on two or three serving plates or one platter. Drizzle with dressing. Serves 2 to 3.