Spinach & Chicken Chopped Salad is a paean to spring & a salute to winter as we say “farewell” to the cold & snow & “hello” to creatively crafted salads & cookouts. To be exceptional a salad has to have all the necessary contrasting textures & flavors – this salad ticks all the boxes – tender spinach leaves; tart & chewy cranberries; sweet apple; crisp celery; green onion; toasted almonds & smoky bacon liberally drizzled (although not drown) in a creamy dressing.
Not for the lazy cook, this salad, as the name suggests, involves a bit of chopping. Once that’s all done assembly is a breeze & all that’s required is a bowl in one hand, fork in the other (maybe while also balancing a glass of wine) as you carry dinner (or lunch) out to your deck for some much needed alfresco dining.
If you love chicken salad sandwiches or wraps, then odds are you’ll love this spinach & chicken chopped salad. And although there is a little prep work in the form of wielding a knife, it really doesn’t take a culinary genius re-create.
Leaving you to enjoy the longer evenings as you ponder your garden. And a look at what’s for dinner tomorrow – perhaps another salad – Smoked Salmon, Potato & Beet? Cheers for now, Lovoni xo
spinach & chicken chopped salad
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (a rotis chicken works great for this)
- 3 handfuls baby spinach leaves (chop the leaves if they’re large)
- 2 small gala apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 6 slices bacon, cooked according to package directions, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- a good pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
To make the dressing
- Whisk the mayo, cream, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper together in a small bowl.
- Arrange chicken, spinach, apples, celery, green pepper, green onion, bacon, cranberries & almonds in bowls or on a serving platter. Drizzle with dressing. Serves 2 to 3.