Thai fish cakes are a quintessential part of Thailand’s street food. Served simply with a cucumber peanut salad, it’s easy to recreate an authentic version with the same texture & flavor at home.Jump to Recipe
Using a food processor makes light work of the fish cake mixture. Kaffir lime leaves, red curry paste, cilantro & fish sauce provide the flavor base for the fish cakes. But we think the best part is the zippy, sweet cucumber sauce/salad the fish cakes are served with.
No need to order take-out or head to your local Thai restaurant (if you’re lucky enough to have a Thai restaurant close by). Thai fish cakes are very easy to make at home. Serve them as an appetizer with your favorite cocktail or beer – they’re perfect with a Thai beer .
Because we know how much you love Thai food, here are some essentials so you can produce authentic Thai recipes at home. Along with some recipes you’re going to want to serve with the fish cakes: Coconut Chicken Soup & Pork Larb.
thai fish cakes
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup grated palm sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/3 cup finely chopped toasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 small red chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs (750g) firm white fish fillets (such as halibut, catfish, cod, snapper, basa), chopped
- 3 tablespoons red or green curry paste
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed & discarded, leaves chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green beans
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- peanut oil, for shallow frying (or coconut or canola)
- Combine the vinegar, water & sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken slightly; let cool completely. Add the remaining ingredients & stir until combined. Pour into a serving dish, cover & chill until ready to use.
- Put the fish, curry paste, lime leaves, cilantro, fish sauce, egg & cornstarch in a food processor bowl; process until very well combined.
- Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl. Add the beans & green onion; stir until well combined. Using wet hands (to prevent mixture sticking), shape rounded tablespoons of the mixture into small patties.
- Heat enough peanut oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the fish cakes in batches for 2 to 3 minutes per side until golden-brown. Remove to paper towel to drain; keep warm. Serve with the cucumber sauce. Makes about 28.