No matter the time of year a main meal salad is always a good choice for dinner: especially if its ingredients include: succulent, hot smoked salmon, crunchy roasted baby potatoes, pickled beets, crisp green beans & a creamy caper & horseradish dressing. Serve Smoked Salmon, Potato & Beet Salad with some homemade artisan bread & a decent pinot noir & you’ve got yourself a dinner that’s quite magical.
I’m still doing my Aldi Challenge for the month of February. All the ingredients for the salad came from Aldi apart from the horseradish because I wasn’t going to buy more when I had a full bottle. Aldi’s sell horseradish sauce – I used horseradish cream.
It’s the dressing that often makes a good salad. This simple mayonnaise- based salad dressing with lemon juice, capers & horseradish pairs perfectly with salmon & beets – the main flavor components of the salad.
Salmon & beets are made for each other. And if you’ve not enjoyed the two ingredients together in one meal – you need to. With the rich oiliness of salmon & beets’ distinct earthy flavor, these two are symphonic together.
Hot smoked salmon, as the name implies, is smoked by heat giving it a very similar, although slightly more robust, texture to baked or grilled salmon but with that addictive smokiness I love so much. Cold smoked salmon is silky in texture & quite luxurious to eat. Try cold smoked salmon in this avocado & egg toast recipe or smoked salmon & asparagus pasta salad.
It’s March next week. That means spring is on its way. I’m sure there’s several more soups days before it arrives, but knowing we’re on the homestretch of winter is uplifting. I long to feel the warm sun on my skin, potter in the garden, enjoy wholesome salads & grill outside without the four layers of clothing. Enjoy this salad, it’s a keeper. Toodles, Lovoni xo
Smoked Salmon, Potato & Beet Salad
- 12 oz baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a good pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 small handfuls green beans, trimmed & blanched*
- 10 small whole pickled beets, drained
- 2 x 4 oz hot smoked salmon, skin removed & discard, flesh flaked
- few thin slices of white onion rings, separated
HORSERADISH CAPER DRESSING
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained & chopped
- 2 tablespoons horseradish cream (or sauce or Dijon mustard)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch sugar
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, horseradish, garlic & a pinch of sugar in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan of salted water & bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until just tender; drain. Toss potatoes, oil, salt & pepper on the baking sheet. Squash each potato until about 1/2 inch thickeness, using a potato masher or the back of a spoon. Roast for 35 minutes, turning once during cooking, or until potatoes are golden.
- Arrange spinach, beans, potatoes, beets, salmon & onion in two bowls. Dollop with the dressing.* How to blanch the beans – click here.