Instead of taking the time to stand & flip pancakes for brunch, why not take the easier route & make Berry Pancake Bake – all you have to do is pour the pancake batter into a baking pan, scatter some berries over the top, bake & 20 or so minutes later you’re rewarded with a beautiful ‘pancake’ you can divide into portions & served warm with dollops of billowy whipped cream & maple syrup.
I made this rather ingenious brunch on the weekend & it was a hit – a great recipe for a throw-together brunch, especially when you’re entertaining. Or not. Who doesn’t always want maximum gain for minimal input – seriously?
I’m not the brainchild of this idea: I saw a similar recipe in an on-line Aussie food mag I subscribe to called Super Food Ideas. As my hubby & I usually have one day on the weekend when one of us cooks a hearty breakfast I had to try this recipe which was so good I had to share it with you.
This is me making pancakes: the first couple are usually duds & either end up in my mouth or the garbage before I finally hit my stride about pancake number three. So my husband is pancake maker in our home. But this recipe is as easy AF: so move over honey, next week it might be apple cinnamon. Although the non-seasonal berries (let’s face it, it’s the middle of winter here in Indiana) were wonderful (strawberries baked take on a whole life of their own).
I threw some bacon into the oven at the same time as the pancake bake was cooking, made a pot of strong French-pressed coffee & in 30 minutes or so, I had brunch on the table. All in all, a pretty fabulous way to start a Sunday. Chat to you soon, Lovoni
Berry Pancake Bake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh berries (I used blueberries, raspberries & sliced strawberries
- icing sugar, maple syrup, whipped cream & extra berries to serve
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan & line base & sides with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, soda & salt together in a medium bowl.
- Combine milk & vinegar in a small bowl & let stand 5 minutes. Add half the butter, egg & vanilla; whisk until well combined. Add to flour mixture. Whisk until just combined.
- Brush the parchment paper with a little butter. Scrape the batter into the pan. Scatter with the fruit, leaving about 1/2 cup for serving. Drizzle the batter with the remaining butter. Bake for 20 minutes until set. Then broil for 2 minutes, 6 inches away from heat source, until golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into 6 servings. Serve dusted with icing sugar, maple syrup, whipped cream & extra berries.