Toasted artisan bread spread with warm refried beans, sprinkled with lots of cheese & broiled until gooey & melted then topped with a lively ripe tomato mixture – Mexican Bruschetta makes a brilliant quick & easy appetizer, snack or meal.
Firstly, apologies to any Mexican (or Italians) with the seemingly clumsy attempt at a fusion name. That wasn’t the intent. Recipe titles need to be descriptive without being too wordy. Refried beans on toast with melted cheese & pico de gallo seems a little wordy, no? But… ‘Mexican Bruschetta’ alludes to such flavors & textures in two words instead of eleven.
The inspiration for this recipe happened as I watched a show called ‘Pati’s Kitchen’, a cooking show exuding Mexican flair & lots of enticing recipes. Including a variation on this one.
Initially this recipe for intended for an appetizer, but served on bigger pieces of toast or tostadas & now you’ve got lunch or dinner – maybe topped with slices of avocado or an egg. Or for smaller gluten-free bites then try round tortilla chips. This recipe is fresh, vibrant & a synch to make, requiring no real kitchen mastery apart from chopping. Washed down with a nice Mexican beer or a margarita (or three) of course. Cheers!
- 2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, diced (if you prefer less heat, remove the seeds & membrane)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- a good pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz baguette, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups refried beans, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, juice, jalapeno, onion, garlic, sugar, salt & pepper in a medium bowl. Cover & let stand.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Spread each slice with warmed beans. Sprinkle each slice with cheese. Broil, 6 inches from the heat, for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted & bubbling.
- Top with tomato mixture. Serve immediately. Serves 6 as an appetizer or 3 to 4 as a main.