Fudgy, cake-like, rich & decadent: Lemon Pistachio Brownie has all the elements that make a brownie, a brownie, but thanks to the hit of bright citrus & smattering of pistachios, this is a really good brownie – elevated.
Back in 2005 I decided after years of writing cookbooks for others I was going to self publish a cookbook. This isn’t the post to bore you with details how I raised the 100k+ capital to make that happen but I did & ‘Simple, Fresh, Delicious‘ was born. And then when the cookbook was done & in my hands, I found there wasn’t a lot of money left to spend on marketing. So I got creative…
With the help of a friend, I marketed the cookbook myself. I made umpteen batches of brownies & sun-dried tomatoes from my cookbook & set off across Canada with them in a suitcase. I did live TV shows all over the country & book signings at food & book stores. All the time sharing my brownies – this same brownie recipe. And do you know what happened?
Long story short – I ended up with a television deal to make a cooking show with the same title as my cookbook – ‘Simple, Fresh, Delicious‘. And not just one season – four seasons – 52 episodes. To date it’s the best thing I’ve ever done in my career. So, when I tell you this brownie recipe is good – I’m not exaggerating. Not only is it a good recipe, but it will always be a special recipe: reminding me that if I want something bad enough all I have to do is apply myself, work hard & I will get it.
Lemon Pistachio Brownie
- 1 cup (8oz/250g) butter, cut into pieces
- 11 oz (300g) good-quality dark chocolate, chopped, plus 3 1/2 oz (100g) extra, chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33cm) baking pan and line the base and sides with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Stir the butter and 11 oz (300g) chocolate in a large saucepan over medium heat until both are almost melted. Remove from the heat & continue to stir until mixture is smooth.
- Add the sugar, eggs & zest stir until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa & salt into the chocolate mixture; stir until well combined.
- Stir in the extra chocolate & pistachios; spread into the prepared pan. Bake, on the centre rack, in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until just firm. (It will set more as it cools.) Leave to cool in the pan. Cover & place in the fridge until serving. Cut into about 45 pieces to serve.