Malt Vinegar & Mint Roasted Potatoes & Peas – crispy, crunchy potatoes nestled in soft peas & tossed in a mint dressing is an easy & pan-saving side for any roast.
Granted I’m putting the cart before the horse here – or the side before the lamb. This week I’m sharing Aussie inspired recipes in the lead up to Australia Day January 26th. But as Australia Day is in the middle of a hot summer, I’m winterizing the recipes to suit the current Midwest frigid tundra.
Not only are frozen peas as handy AF (add to pasta, soups, stews, dips, mash & such), but they make a very quick & easy side to a good Sunday roast. Growing up green peas were always served with roast lamb in my home. Sometimes they’d be fresh, sometimes frozen – depending on the time of year – but they’d always on the plate. Along with roasted potatoes – always roasted potatoes & roasted pumpkin. Mint sauce was put on the table for us to sprinkle on our roasted lamb & veggies. I liked to douse everything on my plate in the sweet, malt vinegar based condiment.
This is such an easy, one-pan side. If you can peel a potato, you can make this. I’ve not shared my roasted lamb recipe yet, but serve Malt Vinegar & Mint Roasted Potatoes & Peas with the best roasted chicken or stuffed pork. Once upon a time families used to relish in sitting down to a Sunday roast together. Did you used to do that? Maybe it’s fanciful thinking, but I cherish the thought of sitting down to a home-cooked meal with my family. My hubby & I always ate at the table together – we lit candles & talked. For the past several months we’ve got away from doing that & dinner has been balanced on our laps in front of the television. Sitting down to eat together regardless if you’re a family of one or six, is a way to connect with each other. And we all need to do more of that.
Malt Vinegar & Mint Roasted Potatoes & Peas
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, unpeeled, cut into chunks (about 6 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- generous sprinkling of salt & pepper
MALT VINEGAR & MINT DRESSING
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- pinch salt & pepper
To make the mint dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl & stir to combine; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss potatoes, olive oil, salt & pepper together on baking sheet. Roast for 55 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking, or until golden brown. Add peas & cook for 5 minutes until hot but still bright green.
- Toss potato mixture with dressing just before serving.