Not only is this a brilliant low carb meal but the kids will love it too. Chicken, Squash & Cauliflower Bake is comfort food with the added goodness of lots of veg, bacon, garlic & leek. Serve it with a baby spinach salad & you’ve got an easy meal that can be made ahead & popped in the oven when you get home. And if there’s any leftovers they’re perfect heated up for lunch the next day.
It’s freezing here today, thanks to a wind that has the snow blowing parallel with the ground. Big fat snowflakes they are but not a one is sticking in these hurricane-like winds. From my office windows I can see homes much further down our street & smoke crazily whipping around as it comes out the chimneys. It’s a cozy scene. Cheesy Chicken, Squash & Cauliflower Bake is going to be perfect comfort food to ward off the winter chills tonight.
It’s hard to imagine my friends & family back in Australia are sweltering in the heat & enjoy days at the beach. Our pool cover currently has a sheet of ice over it. At this time of year here in small town American Midwest, summer is a mere distant memory. We’re about to start renovating the back of the house tonight, starting with some demo & packing. It gives me somewhat of a smug feeling knowing dinner is already made & all I have to do is reheat this creamy, cheesy bake. I love it when that happens. Toodles, let’s chat soon. Thanks for stopping in, Lovoni xo
Cheesy Chicken, Squash & Cauliflower Bake
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 small cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 1 leek, white & tender green part only, sliced & rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash peeled, seeded & sliced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups coarsely grated white cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat until browned & crispy. Drain & discard fat & place bacon on paper towel to drain then chop. (Or cook as whole slices in 400F oven on a wire rack in a baking sheet in a single layer, for about 20 minutes or until browned & crisp.)
- Trim cauliflower of leaves & remove core. Slice cauliflower & separate into medium- large sections (some will fall apart but that’s okay), removing any big stems.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a medium-large baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken in 2 batches & cook until browned all over; remove from pan.
- Cook leek & garlic in the same pan for 2 to 3 minutes or until leek is softened. Add squash & chicken & stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium & cook for 5 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- Add cream, thyme, salt, pepper & nutmeg; stir gently to combine. Spoon half the mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese & half the bacon. Spoon remaining mixture over cheese. Arrange cauliflower over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining bacon & cheese. Place on a baking sheet (in case there’s any cheesy overflow). Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes until the top is golden brown & cauliflower is tender. Sprinkle with extra thyme if desired.