Thai Chicken, Cashew & Mango Lettuce Wraps with perfectly grilled, succulent chicken tenders sliced up in a crisp lettuce cup & tumbled with sweet & salty mango salsa & crunchy cashews. A perfect, throw-together summer meal.
Growing up mangoes were plentiful in our home. A dear family friend would send them by train from Innisfail in tropical far north Queensland where my step-father was born & raised, down to us in Sydney via the train. Sometimes they’d make it, sometimes the rail workers would steal them. The mangoes were big, sweet & juicy. I’ve never eaten mangoes better than those ones from the Aussie tropics. There’s no comparison.
The chicken is good simple with the mango salsa tumbled over it & a scattering of toasted cashews. The lettuce merely means it can be picked up & eaten in your hand. Food that can be gobbled from one’s hand seems so summery. Don’t you think? Use whatever lettuce takes your fancy – baby romaine (pictured), ice berg or butter lettuce – any smallish lettuce cup will work.
I’ve not had a kitchen for weeks now so I’ve been remiss on posting any recipes. Between kitchen renos, a very sick dog, sick humans & my work on getting staffing & menus organized for the new cafe, there’s hardly been a moment to take a breath. Life for me is about striking a balance. I love to be busy & I work very well under pressure. I still want to set aside time to nurture & grow this blog I have worked so hard on. So, once the kitchen in our home is completed, I hope to get into a routine where I’m balancing cafe life with Fresh Hunger life & still leaving time to exercise, care for myself, husband & puppy. Not necessarily in that order.
Striking a balance in a busy life isn’t always easy. For me routine & almost military organization is key to staying on track. It doesn’t mean folding when things don’t go according to plan but setting yourself up with a solid organizational plan is key for getting things done. I find when I get so busy, the first thing that I let go of is caring for myself. Many of us do this. It’s my mission to stay on track. No, wait, to get on track & stay on it. How do you keep life on track when it gets hectic? Everything little tip helps.
I hope to share pics of our renovated kitchen soon. And I still have to share the living & dining rooms pics from months ago (the kitchen has been in the dining room for a month). Take it easy, I’ll chat to you soon. Meanwhile, enjoy these delicious Thai-inspired lettuce wraps. And if you’re looking for a fantastic summery dessert, you’ve GOT to try my Brown Sugar & Rum Peach Pavolvas.
- THAI CHICKEN
- 1/4 cup tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey, or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 8 – 10 chicken tenderloins
- butter or small romaine (cos) lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews
- MANGO SALSA
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled & diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped Thai or regular basil
- 1 tablespoons sambal oelek (Asian chili paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch of salt & pepper
- To make the salsa: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover & set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make the chicken: Combine soy, honey, zest & sambal in a medium bowl or re-sealable plastic bag. Add chicken & stir or turn to coat. Cover or seal & chill 30 minutes if time permits.
- Heat a greased grill (barbie) to medium. Remove chicken from marinade & cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until chicken has good grill marks & is thoroughly cooked. Cover & let stand for 5 minutes before cutting crossways into slices.
- Arrange leaves on a serving platter. Add chicken & top with salsa. Serve 3 to 4.