Toast. We’ve all eaten it. It conjures up childhood memories. Once upon a time it was regarded as just a breakfast vehicle for jam or for dunking in soup. And whilst toast is effective for both breakfast (especially with a perfectly cooked egg) & for soup-slurping, it also makes a quick & easy main course. Avocado, Smoked Salmon & Egg Toast slightly elevates the humble piece of scorched dry bread to become a fast, fresh & dare I say even a little bit special, evening meal.
The toppings are endless as any toast enthusiast will agree. I opted for Avocado, Smoked Salmon & Egg Toast because they were ingredients I had in my fridge & easy to make with the limited area I currently have available for cooking thank to an extensive kitchen remodel. It was either toast or take-out. Toast it was. This is how it went down: Avocado liberally sprinkled with crushed peppercorns & salt, then drizzled with lime juice.
Some smoked salmon. And I could have stopped right there because I love smoked salmon & avocado together.
But then I decided to add eggs & really thin slices of jalapeno.
As I was heading down the jalapeno route, it only seemed fitting to throw together a fresh salsa.
Then I needed a knife & fork.
Because things were getting out of hand.
So delicious. Especially on my homemade artisan bread. And within 15 minutes, dinner was done. Without a kitchen. Okay, excuse me as I go & rustle something up for lunch.
Oh, & if like me you love toast, here’s a Goat Cheese, Zucchini & Pea Crostini that’s incredible & you need to try. Toodles xo
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small to medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped (I use homegrown or Campari)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 4 slices of crusty bread, grilled or toasted
- 6 oz (170g) smoked salmon
- slices of fresh jalapeno
- Place eggs in a small saucepan. Cover with water & cook, covered over high heat for 11 to 12 minutes. Drain & let stand in cold water.
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, juice, garlic & a pinch of salt & pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Slice the avocado, drizzle with a little lime or lemon juice & sprinkle with salt & pepper. Arrange the avocado on each slice of toast. Place two slices of toast on each serving plate. Top with smoked salmon.
- Carefully peel the eggs & cut in halves lengthways. Place a half on each piece of toast. Spoon over the jalapeno slices & the tomato mixture.