Thin slices of fennel, cucumber, radish & onion are tumbled with orange & simply dressed with olive oil & red vinegar. Orange & Fennel Amalfi Salad is simple, elegant & requires no cooking.
The ingredients in this salad have nothing hide behind so everything has to be fresh & good quality. The oranges are fantastic right now: sweet, juicy, perfectly textured. This is an important part of the salad.
If your knife skills aren’t up to snuff, you’re going to want to drag out that mandoline slicer you’ve got tucked away in the back of the cupboard. The other secret to this salad being exceptional, apart from the freshness of the ingredients, is to have everything wafer thin. If you don’t have a mandoline, maybe you’ve got a food processor with the cutting blade accessory? Or, take your time to thinly slice everything with a sharp chef’s knife.
This recipe is from ‘Jamie’s Italy’ cookbook by Jamie Oliver. Did you ever watch the TV series ‘Jamie’s Italy’? I love that series. But then I love everything Jamie does. His passion & enthusiasm for good, simple food is infectious. And he cooks as I envision myself cooking.
My hubby & I enjoyed this salad with grilled chicken breasts that were simply seasoned with salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic & crushed red chili pepper. This salad makes a vibrant first course too served on its own. Don’t overlook it because it appeats so simple. Simple is often best.
The Italians have perfected simplicity. From their clothes to their food & everything in between, they appear to embrace the less is more adage leaving quality time for enjoying life. I think this salad epitomizes their way of life – vibrant, fresh, uncomplicated & lively. Chat to you soon,
A PIC FOR PINTEREST
- 1 large fennel bulb or 2 small
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled
- 2 small cucumbers
- 8 radishes, trimmed
- 3 oranges, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Trim to tops off the fennel, reserving some of the green fronds for garnish. Very thinly slice the fennel & add to a large serving bowl or platter.
- Thinly slice the onion, cucumbers & radish & add to fennel. Top with the oranges.
- Drizzle with red wine vinegar & olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & freshly ground pepper. Garnish the fennel fronds. Serves 4 to 6.