Smoky Black Bean Hummus takes only a few minutes to whip-up & makes the perfect vehicle for dipping vegetables. Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce & cumin impart a smokiness & the black beans, along with tahini give the dip its smooth & creamy texture.
Let’s face it, most of us don’t eat enough vegetables. Or get enough fiber. Having something delicious to dunk crisp chunks of veggies into definitely makes consuming more vegetables easier.
Forget the bottled ranch dressing crap for veggie dipping. This dip takes virtually no time to make & contains no artificial anything. It also tastes better. I don’t mean to get preachy but it’s time to ditch the bottled stuff.
Make a batch of the hummus on the weekend & prep whatever veggies you love to eat raw – sugar snap peas are perfect because they require only a wash & they’re good to go. Divide the hummus into small containers – about 3 of them, & you’ve got lunch taken care of for a few days. If you want something a little heartier then make & freeze my Rich & Creamy Tomato Soup & have that along with the Smoky Black Bean Hummus – that’s a really healthy lunch.
Okay, so “hummus” might be a stretch as there’s not one chick pea involved but I do use a legume (black beans), citrus (lime juice), cumin, garlic & tahini. And because black beans are so creamy, I think this version is infinitely better than original hummus recipe.
This is a lunchtime favorite of mine but it’s also quite fabulous served as a nibblie with cocktails. Ditch the cheese platter & instead go for a lighter, healthier option. Your body will thank you for it. Chat soon, Lovoni xo
A PINTEREST PIC TO SHARE
- 15 oz (425g) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- pinch salt & pepper
- crudités & bread for serving
- Place beans, tahini, lime juice, honey, cumin, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, garlic, salt & pepper in the bowl of a food processor & blitz until smooth.
- Spoon into a serving bowl & serve with crudités & bread. Makes about 1 1/3 cups. Serve at room temperature or cold. Can be made 4 to 5 days ahead of time.